You are here : CIDEF / Home / Practical information

Compulsory insurance

As an international student in France, you are required to take out several types of insurance.

Compulsory health insurance: SMEBA or LMDE

Except for EEA nationals (EEA is the European Economic Area), all students under 28 studying in France for more than 3 months between September 1st and August 31st of the following year, must register with the Sécurité Sociale, the French public health insurance that provides coverage of 70% of medical and hospital expenses.

Registration with the Sécurité Sociale (the yearly fee is 217 €) is to be done directly through CIDEF upon arrival.
If you intend to stay longer than a year, make sure to have a certified copy of your birth certificate translated in French.
We would strongly recommend that you complement this national health insurance scheme with a complementary health insurance to get the remaining 30% refunded.

Third-party insurance

All students also need a third-party insurance (about 12/24 € per year)

Home insurance policy

Taking out a home insurance policy from a French insurance company or bank is a legal obligation, whether you stay with a family, in a hall of residence or any other type of rented accommodation (about 40-70 € per year).